Thursday, April 12, 2012

Do you know a scrimsbander?


Scrimshaw

A scrimsbander is a person who does scrimshaw work. The word scrimsbander possibly has its origin from the word scrimsbanker, an old man-o-wars man’s nick name for a shirker. Scrimshaw was theoretically done on a man’s leisure time.

Most scrimshaw was done on whaling ships. Etched drawing and carvings of scenes and designs were done on sperm whale teeth, whalebone, and ivory. The etched areas had India ink wiped over them so the etching would stand out.  

I like scrimshaw and I was trying to tell the 8 year old girl that lives in the house next to my sister, what scrimshaw was.  I found a small piece of scrimshaw in my sister's house and showed it to her. She liked it as well as I did. We went on line and found pictures of scrimshaw. It is nice to see a young person show interest in things like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment