Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring in Ar.


It has been more than 15 years since I have been far enough north to see the dramatic change that and there is a “new green” fresh color over all the plants. It is not the green of plants that have been growing for a while; it is a more lush green.

Two weeks ago there was a mostly dead look. The trees did not have leaves, the grass was dry and crunchy and piles of leaves and gum balls were all over the yard where I am staying. The temperature was cold (compared with Florida) and even when the sun was out it was not cheery.

In just the last two weeks Iris and Tulips have popped up, the grass grew 5 to 6 inches and the trees now have big, lush green leaves. Bushes are no longer just sticks. This all happed when the warm spring weather activated the trees and flowers. In Florida we do not have a dramatic change in season. In Florida it is a change in dry season to wet season.

My sister had planted all types of flowers around her house and there are numerous flowers popping out all over. I had forgotten how the spring flowers just give a snap of color next to the new green color.

I cut the grass yesterday and the smell of the new cut grass was not like what it smells like when I cut the grass at home in Florida. It was more intense. There was also one section of yard that had an excess of taller green sprouts, and when I cut them I was hit with an onion smell and my eyes started to run. When I pulled a few up I found they were dime size wild green onions. The lady next door said you could eat them, but they were only good in the spring. My impression two weeks ago was that nothing much could grow in all these little rocks, and I could understand why the area was called Little Rock. I was way off about things growing here.

It has been wonderful to see the Ar. Spring, but I still like my Florida weather better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment