Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Venison on the Grill


I am still working my way through all the things my sister had collected over the years. I thought I was a pack rat but I have to give my sister credit, she was better than I am. I will say she was much better than I am at neatly packing things away. When she moved to this house she was able to pack everything from the larger house in to this one and still make it look neat and orderly.

The woman and her daughter next door have gone out of their way to help me as I am working through all “Miss Jane’s” things. It catches me off guard when they call her “Miss Jane”.  As Jane’s little brother my thoughts were more along the lines of “the meanest big sister anyone could have”.

Misty and her daughter brought a meal over for me last week end. They brought a meal of venison, fried potatoes, fried okra, and corn. Not a meal that I would have ever expected. Misty said “Miss Jane” had a venison recipe that was “real gooood” for venison steaks on the grill that she wished she had.

I found the recipe for her and passed it on. I guess we could call it "Miss Jane's" recipe for Venison"

Here is the recipe:        Venison Steak for the Grill

               2 Venison Steaks
               2 tbsp. vegetable oil
To Marinade: Put the Venison Steaks in Marinade for 4 hours in the refrigerator. Turn at least once.
To Grill: Remove the steaks from the marinade, Dry with paper towels. Brush with the 2 tbsp. oil. Grill over hot coals, turning once. Brush with marinade while grilling. Grill 5 to 6 minutes per side.

Note: Venison should be served rare; do not overcook. It needs to be served hot because Venison fat melts at a higher temperature than cows or pigs fat and if the venison gets cool it may seem waxy.

The Marinade:    For meat or fish.
               ¼ cup Wild Turkey Bourbon
               1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
               2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
               ¼ cup salad oil
               2 tbsp. soy sauce
               ¼ tsp. black pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a glass bowl and mix well. This yields about ¾ cup marinade.

I am not sure where "Miss Jane" came up with the recipe. But Misty said it was "Real Gooood"!


No comments:

Post a Comment